Sunday, November 13, 2011

Another Week Flies By....

Another week as quickly passed by. It was a short school week as we had Monday and Tuesday off due to Midterm break. My roommate and I took full advantage of this on Monday by heading to the island, Bongoyo. It was a much needed day of relaxation. Unfortunately I thought it would be a good idea to wait to put sunscreen on when I arrived on the island. I will just say that I have learned my lesson. My and the African sun do not quite get along and 30 minutes in the direct sunlight leads to a terrible sunburn on my face and back. From now on I will be putting sunscreen on before I depart from my apartment and reapplying it frequently throughout the day! Other than the sunburn it was a perfect day. The sun was warm, the water was fantastic and the skies were blue....not much more a person could ask for :) On the island you can do hiking and snorkeling....we did not do that this time but I plan on doing some snorkeling during my next trip to the island.

When it came time to return on Wednesday my alarm seemed to go off a bit to early or maybe it was just the fact that I was not ready to wake up at 5.15 again. It felt like the break was far too short especially since our next break is the holiday break. But I still managed to make it through the week which turned out to not be too bad as I am finally getting caught up with everything from being out sick a couple of weeks ago! This week will be a busy week as well as we have parent teacher conferences during the day. These will take place during my planning periods which means there will probably being a few late nights at school to get done what I typically get done during my planning periods. But then it will be the weekend again :) I am learning that during my weekends I am doing less and less around Dar because all I want to do is relax. Hopefully I will get back into a routine soon and start to venture out in Dar some more.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_uqBx13aymCE/TOfJM0UfFTI/AAAAAAAAGhk/E3Ik-pSwR6c/s1600/thanksgiving+dinner.jpgI think it is getting harder to be away from home the closer we get to the holidays. It does not even feel like November (I think because it is hot and not cold) As I see everyone making plans for getting together during Thanksgiving break it makes me a bit sad but then I remind myself that I will be home in about 5 weeks. And as most of you know  I am the count down queen so as it gets closer I will really begin the count down :) On a positive note my roommate and I have decided to make Thanksgiving dinner here in Dar. I am really excited to get to share our American and family traditions with some of our wonderful friends here in Dar! One of my awesome friend  has brought back some items from the States when he was back for a business trip that will be necessary to make the dinner a success and another friend has been working on getting a turkey for the dinner. It is great to have help from them to find the items that are not typically found here. We have decided to do the dinner on a Saturday afternoon since it takes so much time and preparation to make the dinner.....for some reason the schools here do not get Thanksgiving or the day after off....not quite sure why that is.....

Today I have also decided to start a bucket list after being inspired by some fellow friends who have created one. It has been fun thinking of the different goals and dreams that I want to achieve during my life. I think it also gives me something to really work towards during the upcoming years. Hopefully I will continue to add to the list over the years but also will get to cross many items off of the list :)

We also have been have quite good luck when it comes to power rations which makes me a bit nervous for the next week because there always seems to be a bad period after the good period but maybe this time it will be different! Over the past few days it has really been raining a lot which I don't quite care fore except for when I don't have to work and can lounge around or during the night time and I can sleep but I also know that the land and plants really need the rain lately so it is a good thing for that.

I hope everyone will have a wonderful Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment