Monday, December 26, 2011

Home for the Holidays....


It’s hard to believe that in just under 2 days I will be boarding a plane back to Dar. My time at home has flown by….not that that is any surprise J During my time at home I have gotten the chance to catch up with friends and spend lots of time with my family.

Last Monday I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed, a procedure that I was very nervous about yet extremely ready to get done!!! To start off the Dr. was unable to get an IV in…..after 4 failed attempts he thought it was best to proceed with some sedation and local anesthetic. Not what I was hoping for….needless to say I was awake the whole time and heard everything from start to finish. It was not painful but it was definitely uncomfortable. I could feel the pressure and what not of him cutting. All I had to say when he was finished was I am glad all 4 are gone and this is something I never have to deal with again! The recovery has been slow and painful. There was very little swelling on the first day but by day 2 the chipmunk cheeks had arrived. I lived with ice packs on my cheeks and alternated between Advil and vicodin every 4 hours. Finally on day 4 the pain let up a bit. It still comes and goes….I am still taking Advil every 4-6 hours and icing quite often but hopefully things will get better soon!! I go to my post op appointment tomorrow and I am looking forward to finally getting my stitches out!!

In the mean time I have gotten to catch up on some sleep during the day but fought jet lag for a majority of the week. I usually would wake up for 2-3 hours in the middle of the night. I am hoping over the next week or so my schedule will get back to normal especially upon my return to Dar.

I flew to Texas on Friday to spend the holiday weekend with my family. It was a great time and was good to be surrounded by family for the holidays. It was a busy weekend but in a good way J It was great to catch up…..there was lots and lots of laughter especially with our own personal entertainer…Miss Karrlee! Lots of new memories were made and old memories visited!

Life back in the States has been good. I have enjoyed my constant power and hot showers and being able to get in a car and not face traffic jams has been a plus as well! I found it hard to believe how easily I was able to fall back into my old routines and life styles upon my return home. Lots of shopping, spending time with friends, etc. I was able to pick up where I left off. I am sure this might change a bit the longer I am away but am glad for the time being this is how it goes!

Meanwhile back in Dar there has been major flooding. I have seen pictures and it does not look good. Thankfully the area I live in does not seem to be majorly effected but I will see for myself soon enough. We needed the rain but not this much. It is said that it is the heaviest rainfall in 57 years. I have also been told that it is getting hotter by the day as the summer months arrive. This is hard for me to believe as I deal with the cold weather here. I know that it could be much colder but it is still extremely cold for me since I am coming from high 80s to low 90s on a daily basis. I must admit that I am looking forward to seeing the sunshine again!!
My last full day here will be filled with last minute shopping, doctor appts, hair apt, and other errands…I feel like there is not enough hours in the day to get it all done but I know that it will all work out in the end. Oh and I still have to pack, which might be a challenge to fit all of my purchases into my two suitcases :-/

Upon my return to Dar I will be leaving on a mini vacation to Zanzibar. I am very much looking forward to 4 days of pure relaxation on the beach and with good company none the less :D It is much needed at this point! My only hope is that I am feeling better by then otherwise it will not be too fun…..

Well I think that about sums up my last week or so…. my next update will come in the New Year. I hope everyone will have a safe and happy new year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment